I am Professor of Computer Science at the University of Puget Sound. I obtained my PhD in Computer Science and Engineering at The Ohio State University as a member of the Systems Group. At Ohio State, I worked under the supervision of Gagan Agrawal. My dissertation topic was on the dynamic composition, performance modeling, and optimizations of scientific workflows over distributed cloud computing environments. I also worked on (and continue to work on) problems involving cloud data management. Before that, I worked under Paul S. Wang at ICM/Kent State for my BS and MS degrees. My current teaching and research interests include data management and distributed cloud computing. I am a member of the ACM and a senior member of IEEE.
Here’s a link to my curriculum vitae.
- (5/2022) I am co-chairing the Poster Program at IEEE/ACM UCC 2022 and BDCAT 2022, to be held in Portland, Oregon.
- (4/2022) Promoted to Full Professor, effective July 2022.
- (4/2022) I am serving as a PC member for IDEAS 2022.
- (8/2021) I’m a Faculty Panelist (with Monica DeHart and Melvin Rouse) for the “I Am Puget Sound” student orientation program.
- (7/2021) I am chairing the Demo/Short Paper Session at SSDBM 2021, and I’m also giving a talk, “Caching Support for Range Query Processing on Bitmap Indices.”
- (5/2021) Our paper on bitmap caching has been accepted to SSDBM 2021 as a long paper. Congrats to Sarah McClain (BS’20), Manya Mutschler-Aldine (BS’21), and Colin Monaghan (BS’22).
- (6/2020) Elevation to IEEE Senior Member grade.
- (4/2020) Congrats to Colin Monaghan on receiving a summer research grant to study replacement policies in bitmap index caching.
- (2/2020) Our paper on optimizing GPU processing of bitmaps has been accepted for publication at DASFAA 2020.
- (10/2019) Our paper on GPU processing of bitmap-range queries has been accepted for publication at BDCAT 2019. It was nominated for the Best Paper award.
- (4/2019) Our paper on geo-diversification has been accepted for publication at IEEE CLOUD 2019 in Milan, Italy. Congrats to Jared Polonitza on his first publication.
- (4/2019) Congrats to Sarah McClain on receiving a summer research grant to work on semantic caching of bitmap indices.
- (3/2019) I am serving on the PC for HiPC’19. Please consider submitting a paper.
- (10/2018) Our paper on distributed bitmap indexing has been accepted for publication at BDCAT’18. It was nominated for the Best Paper award.
Student Feedback for Department
Leave the CS department some feedback. This form is anonymous.