I am an Associate Professor and Chair of Computer Science at the University of Puget Sound. I obtained my PhD in Computer Science and Engineering at The Ohio State University as a member of the Systems Group. At Ohio State, I worked under the supervision of Gagan Agrawal, and my dissertation was on the dynamic composition, performance modeling, and optimizations of scientific workflows over distributed cloud computing environments. I also worked on (and continue to work on) problems involving cloud data management. Before that, I worked under Paul S. Wang at ICM/Kent State for my BS and MS degrees.
My current teaching and research interests include data management and distributed cloud computing. I am a member of the ACM and a senior member of IEEE.
Here’s a link to my curriculum vitae.
- (8/2021) I’m a Faculty Panelist (with Monica DeHart and Melvin Rouse) for the “I Am Puget Sound” student orientation program.
- (7/2021) I am chair of the Demo/Short Paper Session at SSDBM 2021, and I’m also giving a talk, “Caching Support for Range Query Processing on Bitmap Indices.”
- (5/2021) Our paper on bitmap caching has been accepted to SSDBM 2021 as a long paper. Congrats to Sarah McClain (BS’20), Manya Mutschler-Aldine (BS’21), and Colin Monaghan (BS’22).
- (6/2020) Elevation to IEEE Senior Member grade.
- (4/2020) Congrats to Colin Monaghan on receiving a summer research grant to study replacement policies in bitmap index caching.
- (2/2020) Our paper on optimizing GPU processing of bitmaps has been accepted for publication at DASFAA 2020.
- (10/2019) Our paper on GPU processing of bitmap-range queries has been accepted for publication at BDCAT 2019. It was nominated for the Best Paper award.
- (4/2019) Our paper on geo-diversification has been accepted for publication at IEEE CLOUD 2019 in Milan, Italy. Congrats to Jared Polonitza on his first publication.
- (4/2019) Congrats to Sarah McClain on receiving a summer research grant to work on semantic caching of bitmap indices.
- (3/2019) I am serving on the PC for HiPC’19 Please consider submitting a paper.
- (10/2018) Our paper on distributed bitmap indexing has been accepted for publication at BDCAT’18. It was nominated for the Best Paper award.